As you can see May Court has been quietly active in our community for many years. It is in our mandate to initiate and finance child related interests until they are able to operate independently. Above are just a few interesting highlights of the service and fund raising projects carried out by the May Court Club of London.
As we celebrate over 80 years of service to our community we reflect upon the journey that our past and present members have taken in caring for and nurturing children and their supporting agencies.
The May Court of Canada is the oldest charitable organization in North America founded by the Governor General’s wife Lady Aberdeen in 1898. She also founded the Victorian Order of Nurses and the Council of Women. The Junior League founded in 1929 became the May Court of London on May 16, 1934.
A long standing hospital affiliation began when our Clinic Committee began assisting at the War Memorial Children’s Hospital. Later as the Blue Ladies we provided volunteer assistance as well as funding for much needed equipment. Members have more recently operated the Child Life and the Sibling Programs in the Children’s Hospital of South Western Ontario.
Our most successful fund raising endeavour ‘The Annual Bazaar’ continues as the ‘May Court Marketplace’ with our new young members at the helm.
One of the first projects undertaken was the formation of the Marionette group – they entertained and educated children while raising money for the Club.
Opened and operated the Goodwill Shop at 761 Dundas St - in 1945 it became Goodwill Industries.
Prepared and served 1500 meals per week at the Active Service Club during the Second World War.
1944 - Present
Hosting Children’s Fairs for children from orphanages and the Children’s Aid Society began our affiliation with CAS. In 1957we built a new CAS reception home called May Court house on Woodward Avenue and more recently built the playground at the new CAS facility.
Operated the ‘May Court Shop’ at different locations providing well priced nearly new clothes while earning charitable dollars.
While financing a treatment centre for emotionally challenged children and working as teaching assistants our members initiated a relationship that lasts until today with our members sitting on the Board of ‘Vanier Children’s Centre’.
Developed and operated a Neighbourhood Centre for mothers and their children providing education, recreation and support.
Aided in funding for the organization of Big Sisters of London.
Provided the funding for the building of Scatcherd Centre and volunteered as teaching assistants.
Provided funding for a learning centre called the ‘May Court Midway’ at the Boy’s and Girl’s Club
Have financed and operated the ‘Nutrition Program’ providing nutritious snacks and partial breakfast programs to the hungry children of our community. We are currently working in 92 London public and separate elementary and high schools.
Our committee extends a very special ‘Thank You’ to the home owners who have allowed us to open their homes to you.
The May Court Club of London
The May Court Club of London, a well respected group of women volunteers, has served the London community for over 80 years. We are a member of the Association of May Court Clubs of Canada, one of the country’s oldest volunteer organizations, founded in 1898.
Visit us at: www.maycourtlondon.ca/
Web Design by WEBFROSTINGS DESIGN
donated by WEBFROSTINGS DESIGN
copyright © 2015 Homes of Distinction Tour. All Rights Reserved.